Gen Ed Requirements

Here is a full list of requirements:
awesome John Jay building photo
Optional image caption goes here


What are the Gen Ed requirements?

The Gen Ed requirements will make up 42 of your 120 total credits, and are broken into three parts: the Required Core (4 courses/12 credits), the Flexible Core (6 courses/18 credits), and the College Option Requirement (6-12 credits, depending on whether you came to John Jay as a freshman or entered as a transfer student). The remaining 78 credits will consist of your major requirements and elective classes.

Where can I find the courses that meet the Gen Ed requirements?

Course listings can be found here.

Could my College Now and/or AP credits count towards any of the Gen Ed requirements?

Yes! See an Academic Advisor for further details, but some or all of your College Now or AP (score of 3 or higher) credits may be posted by credit evaluators as courses that meet General Education requirements

It says in the Flexible Core I can’t take more than two courses in a discipline or interdisciplinary field. What does that mean?

A discipline is an area of study such as History or Psychology or English. An interdisciplinary field is something like Gender Studies, which combines the perspectives of several disciplines/fields. The reason for this Flexible Core rule is that the College wants you to have a broad understanding and not limit yourself to a narrow range of departments/areas of study.

Can a drawing class or acting class meet the Creative Expression requirement?

Actually a drawing or acting course might meet the Communications part of the General Education program. If you have any questions, please see an Academic Advisor

Is it possible to be exempt from any of the Gen Ed requirements?

You can meet the Foreign Language expectation by taking a language placement test in The Modern Language Lab (7.64 New Building) and placing above the 100 level in that language.

Can I overlap any courses between the Gend Ed requirements and my major? If so, how many and which ones?

In some instances, a course offered as an option for the Gen Ed will also fulfill a major requirement (i.e. PHI 231).

Will I be able to pursue a minor or double major at John Jay while fulfilling the Gen Ed requirements?

Yes! John Jay offers double majors and a selection of wonderful minors! See an Academic Advisor to discuss whether you can work a double major or a minor into your academic plan.

As a transfer student to John Jay, how can I find out which Gen Ed requirements I've met and which ones I still need?

John Jay’s Office of Academic Credit Evaluation is responsible for evaluating your transfer courses to determine which credits will be posted on your John Jay record and whether they fulfill general education requirements. Some of your credits may also count towards your major or as elective credits towards the 120 total you need for graduation. Once transfer credits are posted on your John Jay record, you can meet with an Academic Advisor to confirm what requirements you have met and which ones you still need. If your completed certain general requirements (Required Core, Flexible Core, College Option) at another CUNY college, then John Jay will consider those general requirements done as well.

As a transfer student to John Jay, which College Option courses do I need?

This depends on a number of factors. Consult with an Academic Advisor

I'm thinking about transferring to John Jay from another CUNY school in a few semesters, so if I meet Gen Ed requirements there does that mean I've also met them at John Jay?

The Pathways curriculum is designed to make transfer from one CUNY college to another very simple. If you’ve met certain General Education requirements at your other CUNY college and then transfer to John Jay, we will consider those particular General Education requirements met here as well. For example, if you’ve completed the Flexible Core at another CUNY college, John Jay will honor that and consider you to be done with our Flexible Core requirements. 

Students who transfer from non-CUNY colleges may have met some of the General Education requirements, but credit evaluators in John Jay’s Office of Academic Credit Evaluation will need to determine that as they post transfer credits onto the John Jay student record!

Where can I learn more about Gen Ed student rights and appeals?

Please click here for more information on student rights, responsibilities, and appeals as they relate to the gen ed requirements.