Federal Work Study

Federal Work-Study

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate students with a financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. Jobs are available both on and off-campus and include community service work.

Federal Work-Study Clinical or Teacher’s Education Experimental Program 

The Federal Work-Study Experimental (FWSX) program allows students who are pursuing degrees in the medical field or teacher’s education to be compensated for all or a portion of their hours dedicated to clinical work or classroom student teaching hours while satisfying their core curriculum requirements.


To be considered for this award, you must complete your financial aid applications and request consideration for FWS by checking the appropriate box on the FAFSA. FWS money is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. John Jay College receives a fixed amount of money each academic year to make FWS awards. Once this money is awarded, there is no more for that academic year. You are encouraged to file your financial aid applications early. When you receive your award letter from John Jay College, it will indicate whether or not you have been awarded FWS.

  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Be matriculated and enrolled at least on a half-time basis (six credits or its equivalent). However, during the summer, continuing students do not have to be enrolled, but must register for the following fall semester on a half-time basis as a matriculated student. Freshman may not work for the first summer term.
  • Be a citizen of the United States or an eligible non-citizen as per the program guidelines.
  • Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Complete the Orientation with Career and Professional Development ( Good for two years)
  • Accept your FWS award immediately on CUNYfirst. Funding is available on a first-come basis.
  • Login to CUNYfirst 
  • Select Campus Solutions from the menu.
  • Navigate to Self Service, followed by Campus Finances
  • In Campus Finances, click the Accept/Decline Awards link (you must accept each semester’s award).

All students are required to complete the FWS/FWSX online package and orientation before they are hired. Students must follow the FWS/FWSX placement steps.


Please note the following:

  1. International students are not eligible for participation in the FWS Program.
  2. Entering freshmen will not be eligible to participate in the Federal Work-Study program until the beginning of their entering Fall/Spring semester. 

John Jay College’s Center for Career and Professional Development (CCPD) services can assist with resume writing and career readiness training. You may visit the CCPD website for additional information.

Where you work depends on the amount of your award, class schedule, and job skills. We make all efforts to place you in a job that compliments or reinforces your educational program or career goals. You may work either on-campus in one of the departments of the College or off-campus at a number of profit and non-profit community service agencies. Such as Public Service Corps. (PSC). Also, it may be possible for you to work at selected companies in the private sector that choose to participate in the program. If you receive a small award or have a heavy class schedule, you will usually be placed on-campus.

Yes. You will usually be given a list of jobs available online. After job selection, if your application is accepted by the employer you will be contacted by the FWS/FWSX employer.

No. Your FWS award represents the maximum amount you may earn for the academic year. How much of the total award you actually receive depends on your rate of pay. Once you have earned your maximum FWS/FWSX award, you will have to stop working.

You are paid by the hourly wage, which can range from the minimum wage to $17.00 per hour.

Your FWS/FWSX supervisor must submit timesheets according to the FWS/FWSX pay cycle schedule for payment. If timesheets are not submitted as scheduled, you may not be paid on time.

No. You can only be paid for the hours you have worked. If you cannot earn your entire FWS/FWSX award before the end of the academic year, the unearned portion of your award is returned to the program.

You must register for and maintain an enrollment status of half-time (6 credits or equated credits) or greater to be eligible for FWS/FWSX. If for any reason, your course load falls below half time, you can no longer participate in the program and must stop working.

Yes. If you withdraw from school for any reason, you lose your eligibility for FWS/FWSX and must stop working.

Yes. If you are receiving unemployment insurance benefits and are also employed in the FWS/FWS program, you must notify your local unemployment office that you are working in the FWS/FWSX program. The New York State Department of Labor considers it a willful misrepresentation to collect unemployment benefits without revealing that you are also receiving FWS/FWSX earnings. 

Yes. FWS/FWSX earnings are considered taxable income by both federal and state governments. However, FWS/FWSX earnings are not counted as income in determining eligibility for financial aid.

 Below are the tax documents needed to file taxes:

According to federal law, the identity and work eligibility of all FWS/FWSX students must be verified before beginning their FWS/FWSX assignment. You will have to complete an I-9 form and present certain documents to an appropriate FWS/FWSX representative. You may not participate in the FWS/FWSX program until you have filed an I-9 form with the Financial Aid Office. If you work off-campus with Public Service Corps (PSC), you will file your I-9 with PSC.

If you never had a job, the FWS/FWSX program can give you your first exposure to the job market. FWS/FWSX employers are often willing to give you on-the-job training. You can find positions relating directly to your program of study or career choice, thereby gaining valuable job experience. You may learn about giving something back to the community through a community service-related FWS/FWSX position. When seeking regular employment after graduation, you may use your FWS/FWSX job as an employment reference.

Finally, you could be hired as a regular employee by the employer for whom you worked as a Federal Work-StudyS student. 

Notice of Non-Discrimination

It is the policy of The City University of New York—applicable to all colleges and units— to recruit, employ, retain, promote, and provide benefits to employees and to admit and provide services for students without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender,  gender identity, marital status, partnership status, disability,  genetic information, alienage, citizenship, military or veteran status, pregnancy, or status as a victim of domestic violence/stalking/sex offenses, unemployment status, or any other legally prohibited basis in accordance with federal, state and city laws.   This policy is set forth more fully in CUNY’s Policy on Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination.

Sexual harassment, gender harassment and sexual violence, forms of sex or gender discrimination, are also prohibited at CUNY.  This policy is set forth fully in CUNY’s Policy on Sexual Misconduct.

It is also the University’s policy to provide reasonable accommodations when appropriate to individuals with disabilities, individuals observing religious practices, employees who have pregnancy or childbirth-related medical conditions, or employees who are victims of domestic violence/stalking/sex offenses.

Retaliation for reporting or opposing discrimination, cooperating with an investigation of a discrimination complaint, or requesting an accommodation is also prohibited.

The following person has been designated at John Jay College (“the College”) to handle inquiries and complaints relating to CUNY’s Policy on Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination as well as CUNY’s Policy on Sexual Misconduct and to review appeals of the College’s decisions regarding requests for reasonable accommodations under section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans With Disabilities Act of 1990: Gabriela Leal, Deputy Director-Compliance & Diversity, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Haaren Hall, Rm. 622T, 524 West 59th Street, New York, NY 10019, gleal@jjay.cuny.edu. (This is not a contact email for Financial Aid or Federal Work-study).

Contact Us

524 West 59th Street
BMW, 607
New York, NY 10019