The Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Program (FSSEP), sponsored by the Student Activities Association, is dedicated to supporting the mission of the College & academic success of our students.
Research indicates that engagement with faculty, outside the classroom, is a strong & positive contributor to retention. These interactions help to strengthen students’ relationship to the College. The FSSEP is designed to foster interaction between faculty, staff & students, focused on the following principles:
Student-Centered Approach: Prioritizing the needs, well-being & success of students by creating programs & initiatives that directly contribute to their academic & personal growth
Empowerment: Equipping students with the resources, skills & opportunities to take ownership of their education & personal development
Student Empathy: Understanding & empathizing with the experiences and challenges faced by students & tailoring support to meet their unique needs
FALL 2023 SEMESTER FUNDING IS EXHAUSTED STAFF AND FACULTY CAN APPLY TO THE FACULTY STAFF STUDENT ENGAGEMENT FUND IN SPRING 2024
1. Purpose and Eligibility: The Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Fund is designed to support faculty and staff members in hosting events that engage students outside the classroom. All full-time and adjunct faculty members, as well as full-time and part-time staff members, are eligible to apply for sponsorship or reimbursement.
2. Funding Allocation: Faculty and staff members have the opportunity to be awarded funding multiple times per semester, depending on the availability of funds.
- Approved events hosted by a single staff or faculty member can be sponsored or reimbursed up to a maximum of $400.
- For approved events involving more than one faculty or staff member, each individual can still be sponsored or reimbursed up to $400, but the total funding for the event can go up to a maximum of $800.
3. Event Coordination: A. Plan & organize an engaging event for students that aligns with the goals of the program. B. Ensure that the event promotes meaningful interactions between students & faculty/staff members.
4. Application Submission: A. Prior to submitting an application, carefully review the "Faculty Staff Student Engagement Program Procedures” document provided. B. Prepare your application with accurate and complete information, including event details, proposed budget & expected outcomes.
5. Record Keeping: If you wish to maintain a record of your application, record your answers on a separate document or print out the application before submitting it online.
6. Application Review: A. Applications will be reviewed based on alignment with program goals, expected impact on student engagement, and feasibility of the proposed event. B. Only two faculty/staff members will be awarded funding for the same event to ensure equitable distribution of resources.
7. Notification & Disbursement: A. You will be notified of the application outcome within 3-5 business days. B. If approved, funds will be disbursed to you according to the outlined reimbursement process.
Faculty & staff members can have food catered for student events. A catering request form must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org for approval before ordering. Please contact the food vendor for further information on menus and placing orders.
The Faculty-Student Engagement Program is comprised of the following initiative: Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Fund.
The Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Fund will sponsor or reimburse faculty and staff members who host events for students. All members of the faculty (full-time or adjunct) and staff (full-time or part-time), may be sponsored or reimbursed for up to $400 per event. Faculty and staff members may be awarded funding multiple times per semester. Only two faculty and staff members will be awarded funding for the same event.
The Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Program is paid for by the Student Activity Fee.
All members of the faculty (full-time or adjunct) and staff (full-time or part-time).
All members of the faculty (full-time or adjunct) and staff (full-time or part-time), may be sponsored or reimbursed for up to $400 per event. Faculty and staff members may be awarded funding multiple times per semester. Only two faculty and staff members will be awarded funding for the same event.
Faculty and staff are reimbursed in the form of a check for out of pocket expenses. Faculty and staff cannot be advanced funds for approved events and must submit reimbursement paperwork upon completion of activity. Please review the Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Program Procedures for more information.
Faculty and staff members are permitted to submit mutliple applications for the Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Fund within the same academic semester. All Applications and paperwork must be submitted by the Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Program designated deadlines. Failure to comply will result in loss of funding.
Currently, the Faculty/Staff Student Engagement Program does not support events in the summer.
Please note that faculty and staff are not limited to the types of events listed below.
- Discounted Tickets to Broadway Shows
- 20 museum admissions (at suggested donation amount)
- Entry to lecture/workshop/seminar off campus
- Guest speakers/lecturers to come to John Jay
- Off campus dining with students at a restaurant