The Children’s Center at John Jay College offers a warm, nurturing and enriching environment for children on their journey of life-long growth, discovery and success. Within the context of a developmentally appropriate environment, children learn through hands-on experiences, and opportunities for multi-sensory exploration and discovery. Accepting that children learn and progress at different levels, our focus is on the development of the whole child, as they mature socially, emotionally, physically, and cognitively. In building a strong foundation in a well-balanced and wholistic program, children are empowered with opportunities to explore their own interests and discover their own passions.
In a warm and nurturing environment, the Children’s Center provides quality child care, and an early education program that meets the needs of both the student parent and the child. We support our John Jay student parents, so they can fully participate in college life and attain their educational goals. Our child care services, and early childhood program is designed for children of John Jay student parents, ages six months through pre-kindergarten (6 months-5 years of age).
- Create a welcoming environment for John Jay student parents and their child(ren)
- Provide a high-quality early childhood program that meets the needs of children and families
- Encourage and support parent and family involvement in the Center
- Support the overall educational mission of the College and University
Who We Serve
The Children’s Center is a CUNY based early childhood education program that provides a rich, age appropriate and developmentally sound educational experience for children of John Jay students while attending classes, internship or participating in a federal work-study program. Admission to the Center is on a first come, first serve basis. Priority is given to currently enrolled John Jay student parents.
Faculty and Staff are welcome to inquire and submit an application for admission. However, priority for admission is given to John Jay student parents. Admission to the Center is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Flexible Scheduling will be offered to John Jay student parents using their class schedules as a basis for their child's enrollment. Flexible scheduling allows parents to register their child(ren) for the days and hours needed for class, work-study, fieldwork, or studying.
- Professional Staff consists of certified teachers, assistant teachers, and aides. Our center offers an early childhood education program that reflects the rich diversity of the College community. Our work is valuable, and contributes to the greater good of the CUNY community, the fascinating complexity of the natural world, and the warm fellowship enjoyed by those working towards truth and justice.
- A Resource for the College Community: The Children’s Center is an integral part of the College community. It serves as a work-study, fieldwork, and observation site for interns from various academic departments. The child care center is directly connected to student parent admissions, retention, and graduation.
The Children’s Center staff is available to help facilitate the application/registration process. New applications for admission can be forwarded to the following email: email@example.com or ChildrensCenter@jjay.cuny.edu
Enrollment in the Center is available to child(ren) of John Jay students, ages 6 months through 5 years. Faculty/Staff child care is on a first come, first serve basis, after enrollment priority is given to John Jay student parents.
Children are registered in accordance with the parent class or work-study schedule. The center does not provide emergency care, drop-off, or babysitting services.
The Center follows the John Jay College academic calendar.
The John Jay College Children’s Center is licensed by The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.
Linda Soleyn, Director