You must be currently enrolled in a course in order to receive tutoring services.
Tutoring in the MSRC is done in a small group or one-on-one, 50-minute sessions. Scheduling appointments in advance is strongly recommended. Although we will try to accommodate walk-ins, our ability to do so is extremely limited. Before you begin tutoring, please familiarize yourself with our center policies by clicking the appropriate link on the menu to your left.
If you are repeating a course in math or science, please consider the MSRC+ program which you can find information on below. The MSRC+ program is only offered during the fall and spring semesters.
In addition to one-on-one tutoring, the MSRC provides the following tutorial services:
- Walk-In support
- Supplemental Instruction (SI)
- ALEKS Support
- Study Groups
- Exam Review Workshops
- Topic Based Workshops
one-on-one tutoring are 50-minute sessions. Scheduling appointments in advance is strongly recommended. Although we will try to accommodate walk-ins, our ability to do so is extremely limited. Before you begin tutoring, please familiarize yourself with our center policies by clicking the appropriate link on the menu to your left.
Students are permitted to schedule on tutoring appointment per day, per course. students can have three upcoming appointments and can book out up to 21 days in advance.
MSRC small group tutoring are, 50-minute sessions with 3 students maximum per appointment. Students must all be from the same course and section. Student in the group appointment must all be in agreement to work together during the group session. The Tutor will cover the same material for all students in the group appointment.
Students should email or stop by the MSRC to schedule any group appointments.
The MSRC+ Program provides extra academic support to students who are repeating a course. Each participant is paired with an experienced tutor for one-on-one tutoring in a standing, weekly appointment for the duration of the semester. Participants are encouraged to supplement their weekly individual appointment with small group appointments as needed.
Eligible students are those registered for a course covered by tutoring in the MSRC in which they have previously received a grade of F, FIN, R, or any form of W. Participation is voluntary and free of charge. However, students who choose to participate must sign a contract agreeing to meet the requirements of the program, including mandatory attendance of the weekly one-on-one appointments. Students who fail to meet the program requirements will be dropped from MSRC+, but may still participate in the general/small group tutoring program.
As of the Fall 2012 semester, MSRC+ has been expanded to include every course the MSRC provides tutoring services for. To participate in the MSRC+ program, students must meet with the Center Director during the first week of classes, sign a MSRC+ Tutee Contract, and select a day and time for weekly one-on-one tutoring.
Make an Appointment
Navigate is a tool that allows you to schedule appointments with advisors and coaches. Follow the steps illustrated in this tutorial or below to make an appointment:
- Click this link to access EAB Navigate by using your CUNYfirst credentials to log in. The EAB access link can also be found under the CUNY Services of the Web Apps tab on the John Jay College Webpage. Navigate should be compatible with all browsers except Internet Explorer.
- Click Schedule an Appointment on the top right-hand side.
- Select type of appointment and service, Tutoring
- select location, Math & Science Resource Center and search/filter by course.
- Fill out the comments section to help your tutor prepare better for your appointment.
- Click Find Available Time to choose your date and time. On the available time page, below the calendar, you can select whether you'd like to meet in person or virtually. (Click on Individual Availabilities to book an appointment with a specific tutor. If you don’t have a preference, skip this part.)
- Click Schedule to go to the confirmation screen and review your appointment details.
- You’ll get an email confirmation right away, an email reminder the day before your appointment, and a text reminder 2 hours before.
Tutoring sessions will be offered in-person and online via Zoom arranged with the MSRC staff and tutors. Students must make an appointment online via EAB-Navigate, in-person at the MSRC, or by calling/emailing the MSRC.
Please email the MSRC for assistance in scheduling tutoring appointments if our hours of operation conflict with your availability.
1.94 New Building