Counseling FAQs

How do I make an appointment?  

Please call 212-237-8111 or walk in to L.68.00NB.  Please note that we do not make appointments online or via email; you must call or walk in to our office.

What are your hours?

Fall and Spring semesters:                     Summer/Winter Breaks:

Monday 9-5pm                                     Monday 9-5pm

Tuesday 9-7pm                                     Tuesday 9-5pm

Wednesday 9-7pm                                Wednesday 9-5pm

Thursday 9-5pm                                   Thursday 9-5pm

Friday 9-5pm                                        Friday 9-5pm (except Summer Fridays when we're closed)

Are the services offered confidential?

All of our services are confidential. There are a few exceptions: if you present as a danger to yourself or someone else, if your records are subpoenaed, or if a minor or elder is being abused or neglected. Additionally, if you want to apply for the NYPD, FBI, CIA, or various other agencies, you will be asked to sign a release form that allows us to provide your records to these agencies as part of their background check.

Will my professors or parents know that I come to counseling?

Federal and state laws prohibit the disclosure of any information you provide us during counseling sessions, unless we have your prior written consent. For example, if a family member, a professor, or anyone else should inquire about the services you receive here, we would not disclose any information without your written permission. Please note, in an emergency and if an exception to break confidentiality is met (listed above – i.e., you are a danger to yourself or others), other people may be notified if it is in your clinical interest to do so (i.e., if you are suicidal and we need to confirm you are safe, we may notify an emergency contact if you are not responding to our outreach). 

I want to join the NYPD.  Can I still receive services?

Yes, you can still receive services. However, when you apply for the NYPD, you will be asked to sign a release for us to send your entire clinical record to the NYPD for review as part of their background check.

Can faculty or staff receive counseling services at the Center?

No. Our services are for enrolled students only.  Faculty and staff should seek services via the Employment Assistance Program (EAP). Information about EAP is found here:

I am not enrolled this semester but I was enrolled in the past.  Can I still receive services?

No, you must be an enrolled John Jay student in order to access our services.  Please come back when you are registered for classes (full time or part time).

I heard there is a waitlist for services.  Does this mean I will not receive services?

Unfortunately, due to the high demand for our services, we do have a wait list. It is difficult to say how long the wait list is, as it depends on your availability and a counselor’s availability as well as making a certain match (i.e., if you request a female counselor, you may have to wait longer). However, you can choose not to remain on the wait list. We will assist you with a referral to community services so you can be seen sooner. Additionally, you always have access to our walk-in counseling as long as you are registered for classes.

My intake counselor recommended I receive services outside of John Jay College but I would rather be seen at the college. What can I do?

Since we are a college counseling setting, we are not an appropriate treatment setting for every student. Your intake counselor may determine that another setting can best meet your treatment needs. We're are committed to offering everyone the highest quality treatment, and it is not in your best mental health interest if our counselors cannot appropriately meet your treatment needs. Your intake counselor can explain the reasons why he or she recommended treatment outside of John Jay.

I don’t have insurance and can’t afford therapy.  Can I still access services?

It’s ok!  Our services are free of charge to enrolled students. If your intake counselor recommends that you receive treatment outside of John Jay, we will be able to recommend a sliding scale clinic.

What if I do not want weekly counseling?

You can speak with your intake counselor about the other treatment options available for you. You may be appropriate for a different treatment setting or modality (i.e., group therapy).

What are some reasons people come to counseling?

People come to counseling for all sorts of reasons such as anxiety about academics, depressed mood, difficulty at work, trouble in relationships, having a traumatic experience or problems at home. If you do not feel as happy as you would like to feel, you may benefit from counseling.

What other services do you offer?

We offer walk-in counseling, individual counseling, group counseling, referral consultations, intake evaluations, substance use evaluations, Single Stop, Title IX consultations, gender-based violence support and advocacy, psychiatry services and outreach presentations. Please see the Our Services page for more information on our services.

What if I just want to talk to someone once and I don’t want ongoing counseling?

That’s fine!  Anytime we are open, walk in to L.68.00NB and request to speak with a walk-in counselor. In most cases, we will be able to see you immediately to discuss whatever is on your mind.

What do I do in an emergency?

If we are open, just walk in to L.68.00NB.  If we are not open, please contact public safety at x 8888 or x 8524. If you are not on campus, please call 911. You can also call the 24-hour toll-free telephone resources that provide immediate assistance to individuals:

  • 1-888-NYC-WELL (1-888-692-9355) or text “WELL” to 65173
  • National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
  • NYC Samaritans: 212-673-3000
  • Safe Horizon Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline: 1-800-621-4673

What if I am faculty or staff and I am concerned about a student?

If you are concerned about a student, you may request to speak with our Director, Gerard Bryant, PhD, or Associate Director, Cory Head, PhD. Additionally, if you are concerned about violating a student’s confidentiality, we can discuss the student without a name and maintain confidentiality. We will be able to offer you suggestions on how to best approach the student regarding your concerns. Dr. Head is reached at x 6239 or and Dr. Bryant at x 4552 or You may also submit a report to the Behavior Intervention Team (BIT) via this link:

What if I think someone needs counseling but that person does not want to attend?

Counseling works best when individuals are willing participants in their treatment. We do not have the authority to mandate treatment. All of our services are optional and voluntary.

I am not yet 18 years old.  Does this make a difference in terms of counseling services?

No, as long as you are enrolled as John Jay student, you may access our services.  

What if I miss an appointment?

Please make every effort to notify your counselor if you cannot make an appointment. We set aside scheduled time for you and it is your responsibility to let us know if you cannot make this scheduled time. The Counseling Services Center has a strict no-show and cancelation policy of two missed appointments. That means if you miss two consecutive appointments without adequately notifying your counselor, we will close your case. You can further discuss this policy with your counselor if you have questions about it. This policy applies to intake appointments as well. If you miss two scheduled intake appointments and attempt to schedule a 3rd appointment, you will be required to attend a consultation session with the associate director in order to be cleared for an intake appointment.

What if I am already seeing a counselor off campus?

If you are already receiving counseling services off campus, you are not eligible for our individual counseling services. You may, however, access our walk in service if you are on campus and feel the need to speak with a counselor immediately.