Emergency Hotlines available 24/7:
- 1-888-NYC-WELL (1-888-692-9355) or text “WELL” to 65173
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
- NYC Samaritans: 212-673-3000
- Safe Horizon Domestic Violence Crisis Hotline: 1-800-621-4673
- NYC Well: Talk to a counselor for support or referrals. Phone 1-888-NYC-WELL, Text “WELL” to 65173 or chat online: https://nycwell.cityofnewyork.us/en/. The NYC Well Website is a 24/7 crisis hotline and a good resource for referrals.
- Psychology Today: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/
- Zocdoc: www.zocdoc.com
- You may also directly contact your insurance provider for providers who accept your insurance.
Community Mental Health Services:
Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy (ICP): http://icpnyc.org/
Address: 33 W. 60th St., 4th Floor, New York, NY 10023
ICP is a training institute that offers individual therapy, psychoanalysis. Special therapeutic services: eating disorders, children and adolescents, LGBTQ, trauma, family and couples, and sex therapy.
Payment: Sliding scale $10-115 per session. Flat fee of $60 for intake. ICP also accepts insurances: Oscar, GHI, GHI Medicaid, HealthFirst, HealthFirst Medicaid, HIP, and HIP Medicaid.
To make an appointment: To schedule a therapy appointment, please call 212-333-3444 or complete the Contact Us Form.
National Institute for the Psychotherapies (NIP): https://niptherapy.org/treatment
Address: 250 W 57th St., Suite 501, New York, NY, 10107
Phone: 212-582-1566 x 7750
The National Institute for the Psychotherapies (NIP) is a not-for-profit psychoanalytic institute that offers psychotherapy and psychoanalysis, couples therapy, and trauma/EMDR therapy for adults (18+).
Payment: Sliding scale $10-150 session (If Eligible). Insurances: AETNA, Health First (not Medicaid or Medicare version), Emblem, GHI, HIP, NY State Empire Plan (Not Blue Cross/Blue Shield), MVP. All fees are determined on a sliding scale, and NIP offers special fees for students and unemployed persons. NIP accepts patients both with and without insurance. However, NIP does not accept Medicaid or Medicare.
To make an appointment: To begin application process, visit website and fill out the form online: https://niptherapy.org/consult There will be an initial phone screen and then an intake. 1-2 weeks to be given intake at this time.
The Institute for Family Health: https://www.institute.org/
Address: Multiple locations in Manhattan and the Bronx.
Phone: 212-206-5200 (carries 4 different locations).
This is a community mental health clinic that also provides medical services. It is a nonprofit devoted to improving access to health care for poor and underserved populations. Sliding scale and insurance.
To make an appointment: Call 212-206-5200. After intake you will be assigned to either sliding scale or free clinic, which is located at 230 W. 17th Street.
Mount Sinai St. Luke’s: https://www.mountsinai.org/locations/st-lukes/care/psychiatry
Address: 411 West 114th St. (at Amsterdam), New York, NY 10025
Mount Sinai St. Luke’s provides individual therapy, groups, and medication management. Every health insurance accepted except Oxford, United Healthcare, Cigna, Americhoice, or Multiplan).
To make an appointment: Call 212-523-4600 to schedule intake appointment.
Metropolitan Center for Mental Health: https://www.metropolitancenter.com/services/
Address: – multiple locations in Manhattan:
160 West 86th Street, (212) 362-8755
336 Central Park West, (212) 864-3666
1090 St. Nicholas Avenue, (212) 543-0777
Phone: (for intake) 212-543-0004
A community mental health clinic that provides individual therapy (adults and children), family and couples therapy, substance abuse treatment, medication management, group therapy, psychological testing, and Spanish-speaking services. Sliding Scale Fee (If Eligible), and multiple insurances accepted. Call to verify insurance.
To make an appointment: Call 212-543-0004 to schedule intake. Will be called back within 24-72 hours for a brief phone screening, then intake appointment will be scheduled in roughly 6 weeks. If no insurance, intake cost is $35 and sessions are $20-$60. Must bring proof of income.
Blanton Peale Counseling Center: http://www.blantonpeale.org
Address: 7 W. 30th St., 9th and 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001
Phone: 212-725-7850 x 119
Community counseling center that offers individual therapy, group therapy, family and couples therapy. Medication management for patients who demonstrate commitment to therapy. Every insurance accepted (except Medicare, Wellcare, Cigna). Full fee is $60 per session, sliding scale available but rare.
To make an appointment: Call 212-725-7850 x 119.
Postgraduate Center for Mental Health - Center for Adult Psychotherapy: http://www.pgcmh.org
Manhattan Location: 71 W. 23rd St., 7th Floor, New York, NY 10010, 212-576-4104
Bronx Location: 1775 Grand Concourse, Bronx, NY, 212-665-1860
Phone: 212-576-4104 (Manhattan), 212-665-1860 (Bronx)
This is an outpatient mental health clinic for adults (18+). Individual therapy, group counseling, family counseling (members must be 18+), couples therapy, low fee psychoanalysis, and medication consultation and management, substance abuse. DBT is also available. Organization also runs more intensive treatment services (residential, ACT teams). Sliding Scale and insurance. Call to double check insurance.
To make an appointment: Intakes for Manhattan location are done on a walk-in basis Tuesdays and Thursdays 8am to 11am, first-come, first-served. Bring insurance and ID. If no insurance, intake fee is $65 then sliding scale ($25-75 depending on income). Assigned a therapist within 1-3 weeks. For Bronx, walk-in hours, call 212-665-1860.
City College, CUNY – The Psychological Center: https://www.thepsychologicalcenter.org/
Address: 160 Convent Ave., North Academic Center, 8th Floor New York NY 10031
Clinicians are PhD students in Clinical Psychology program. Individual therapy (adults and children), family and couples, psychological testing. Groups offered: LGBTQ group, grief and mourning group, between cultures, DBT, interpersonal, children’s play group. Sliding scale only, $5-$60.
To make an appointment: Call 212-650-6003. There will be a screening appointment, then an intake.
Various Specialized Resources:
Treatment for Survivors of Sexual Assault/Harassment or Intimate Partner Violence:
- DOVE program at New York Presbyterian: https://www.nyp.org/clinical-services/social-work/domestic-and-other-violence-emergencies/dove-support-groups
- Crime Victims Treatment Center at Mount Sinai St. Luke’s: https://www.mountsinai.org/locations/st-lukes/support-services/groups
- Safe Horizon Counseling Center: https://www.safehorizon.org/counselling-center/
- Resources in each Borough: https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/services/victim-services/resources-services-counseling.page
- Ackerman Institute for Family Therapy: https://www.ackerman.org/contact-us/
- ICP (which is close to John Jay College): http://icpnyc.org/facts/treatment-services/
- LGBTQ Community Center (“The Center”): https://gaycenter.org/
- Callen Lorde: https://callen-lorde.org/
- Gay Men’s Health Center: http://www.gmhc.org/
- Hetrick Martin Institute: https://hmi.org/
- ICP Psychotherapy Center for Gender and Sexuality: http://icpnyc.org/pcgs/treatment-services/
- Center for Transgender Medicine and Surgery (CTMS): https://www.mountsinai.org/locations/center-transgender-medicine-surgery
- LGBTQ Health Center at Mt. Sinai: https://www.mountsinai.org/about/lgbt-health
Treatment for Alcohol and Other Drug Use:
- Mount Sinai Beth Israel/Mount Sinai St. Luke’s/Mount Sinai West Outpatient Programs: https://www.mountsinai.org/locations/addiction-institute/services/outpatient
- New York Center for Living: https://www.centerforliving.org/programs/
- Freedom Institute: http://www.freedominstitute.org/what-we-do/services/adult/
- Hazelden in Chelsea, New York: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/treatment-rehab/hazelden-in-chelsea-new-york-new-york-ny/206007
· Tricenter: https://www.tricenter.com/
Please contact us at 212-237-8111 or walk in to L.68.00NB for any other specialized mental health treatment needs. We will be happy to assist you in meeting your treatment needs.