Ph.D., University at Albany of the State University of New York (2001, Criminal Justice)
M.A., University at Albany of the State University of New York (1994, Criminal Justice)
B.A., American University (1989, International Studies)
Jeff Mellow is Professor in the Criminal Justice Department and on the faculty of the Criminal Justice Doctoral Program at the Graduate Center, CUNY. His research focuses on correctional policy and practice, program evaluation, reentry and critical incident analysis (i.e., escapes, suicides, and riots) in corrections. Dr. Mellow has administered research and evaluations on a wide variety of correctional topics, including the evaluation of NYC Department of Probation’s Neighborhood Opportunity Network; a study of a transitional correctional health care system in Washington, DC; the evaluation of a New Jersey halfway back parolee program; the mapping of the innovation in correctional health care service delivery in NYC; and the site directorship for the Arrestee Drug Abuse Monitoring Program in Manhattan. Most recently, he received funding to provide training, technical assistance, and research on core issues in Latin America prisons. In addition, he is co-author of three monographs focusing on improving reentry from jail to the community, including the National Institute of Corrections’ Transition from Jail to Community Online Learning Toolkit. His work has been published in The Prison Journal, American Journal of Public Health, Criminal Justice Policy Review and other scholarly outlets.
American Society of Criminology, International Corrections and Prisons Association
- Mellow, Jeff and Kevin Barnes-Ceeney. (2017). Key Factors to Promote Successful Comprehensive Reentry Initiatives. Federal Probation, 81, 22-31.
- White, Michael D., Jessica Saunders, Christopher Fisher and Jeff Mellow. (2012). Exploring Inmate Reentry in a Local Jail Setting: Implications for Outreach, Service Use, and Recidivism. Crime and Delinquency, 58, 124-146.
- Mellow, Jeff, Gary Christensen, Kevin Warwick and Janeen Buck Willison. (2010). Transition from Jail to Community Online Learning Toolkit. Washington: National Institute of Corrections. 238 pages. Revised 2014 & 2015. Available at: https://info.nicic.gov/tjc/
- Solomon, Amy, Jenny Osborne, Stefan LoBuglio, Jeff Mellow and Debbie Mukamal. (2008). Life After Lockup: Improving Reentry from Jail to the Community. Washington: Bureau of Justice Assistance. Available at: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/bja/220095.pdf
- Naday, Alexandra, Josh Freilich and Jeff Mellow. (2008). The Elusive Data on Supermax Confinement. The Prison Journal. 88, 1, 69-93