You must take five core-courses, three electives in one specialization, and then either:

a) four more elective courses, or

b) two more courses and a thesis.

Consult the CRJ MA Graduation Checklist for more details.


Yes, STA 250 (or its equivalent) meets the requirements for the condition under which you were admitted to the program. You can also take this course at a college near your home during the summer so the course can be completed before the fall semester begins.

That depends on your intentions. For some students, especially those who intend to pursue further research or a doctoral degree, the thesis is the preferred option. Only students who complete CRJ 715, 716, & 717 with an A- average or better are eligible to do a thesis. Consult the Thesis Guidelines for more details.

You may have two specializations listed on your transcript. You cannot count the same elective course toward two different specializations.

If you are already enrolled in the CRJ MA Program, credits earned towards your master’s degree can also count toward an Advanced Certificate. Students need to first fill out an Advanced Certificate Enrollment Form and then the Advance Certificate Completion form after taking all of the certificate courses. Students who enroll in an advanced certificate may count these credits earned toward their MA degree. The same elective courses can be used toward a specialization and an advanced certificate.

Up to four courses (12 hours) of graduate credits may be transferred as elective-credits from an accredited graduate program, with the approval of the program director, as long as there is a corresponding course offered in the John Jay CRJ MA Program. Students must fill out a Graduate Transfer Form, which requires university-bulletin course descriptions for the courses you wish to transfer. You may not substitute transfer courses for required core courses.

Yes. You may take any masters-level course offered at the College, assuming you have the prerequisites to take it, and count those courses as electives. With the approval of the program director, such electives may count as part of a specialization.

Yes. To see a list of in-house scholarships, visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, or call 212-237-8149.

Yes. Career counseling is provided by the Career Service Center on the L2 floor of the New Building. Walk in and make an appointment.

Yes. Graduate students should contact the Career Service Center to facilitate the experience whether secured through the college or independently. Sometimes internship experiences can be done for academic credit by enrolling in CRJ 780/781 or by creating an independent study with a faculty mentor. The Career Service Center is the place to start. Contact Career Service Center on the L2 floor of the New Building and make an appointment.

Yes. There is a chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma, the nationally recognized honor society, for those seeking graduate degrees in Criminal Justice Members must have a minimum of 3.4 GPA and have completed at least one- third of their total credits required for graduation at John Jay College (not including transfer credits). Applications are accepted during a membership drive in the spring semester. For more information please contact Ms. Kristen Rasczyk in the Honors Program Office at krasczyk@jjay.cuny.edu.

For general inquiries, please contact us at crjma@jjay.cuny.edu or call 212.237.8631