The Office of the President at John Jay College seeks qualified undergraduate and graduate students for the annual Presidential Internship program. Through this program current John Jay students will be exposed to the inner workings of an executive office in a major educational institution and assist the Offices of the President and Public & External Affairs in a broad range of capacities. Presidential Interns report to the staff of the Office of the President and the Vice President of Public Affairs and Strategic Initiatives.
- Conduct extensive online research and analysis of documents
- Draft memos, proposals, briefings, and promotional materials
- Create and/or manage web and social media content
- Coordinate, promote and manage events and conferences
- Assist External Affairs with outreach to external partners, including government officials and policy makers
- Conduct student outreach and report on student issues
- Conduct general administrative duties
The Office of the President is a dynamic workplace that must be responsive to many types of requests
and issues. Therefore, successful candidates will demonstrate the competencies outlined below.
- Current junior, senior, or graduate John Jay student
- Veterans, returning citizens, and students with work authorization regardless of immigrant status are encouraged to apply
- Excellent research skills
- Ability to analyze and synthesize texts
- Strong background in writing and editing and ability to present information concisely and accurately
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Interest in public policy, governmental affairs, criminal justice reform, and/or social justice
- Ability to multitask and balance competing priorities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Administrative experience, social media savvy, and familiarity with Microsoft Office and ePortfolio encouraged
This internship is a part-time paid position. Interns will be required to work 20 hours per week.
How to apply:
Completed applications must be received by 5 p.m. on May 17, 2019. Finalists will receive an invitation to an interview in May and should expect a 45-minute in-person activity designed to assess applicants’ relevant skills. Candidates should expect to be notified of selection by June. Selected applicants are expected to start their internship around August 1, 2019.
The Office of the President is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. Students from all academic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Only complete applications will be considered. Complete applications should include:
- Cover letter
- Resume or CV
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one academic)
- Students are required to submit a GPA with their application, but no minimum GPA is required. Students are also invited to provide a brief explanation of any information relevant to their GPA.
Please deliver your application by email to email@example.com or, in person to the President's office by 5:00 pm to: President’s Office, Haaren Hall, Suite 625