ACTIVE SHOOTER PREPAREDNESS
Active Shooter Poster
NYPD SHIELD Active Shooter Flyer
Emergency Plan In the Event of Active Shooting or Hostage Incidents on the John Jay Campus
If there is a report of a shooting in the building you have three options:
- If communication is available, always dial 911. It is also crucial to notify
Public Safety at x8888 if using a college phone, or call (212) 237-8888
from an outside phone.
- Run to a safe location if it is advisable to do so.
- Hide in a room and lock the door. Shut off the interior lights and silence your cell phones. Only exit when the police advise you to do so.
- Fight the active shooter as a last resort. Use anything available to fight the shooter from fire
extinguishers to chairs.
- Once you evacuate from the building follow the instructions of the police or first responders.
- Exit the building with your hands up in the air and your fingers spread.
- If you are injured notify the first responders immediately.
PROCEDURES FOR COVERING GLASS PANELS IN CLASSROOMS:
ONLY in the case of a Campus Lockdown, you should use the panel board found near the door to block glass window on the door.
- Remain Calm
- Lock door and turn off the lights
- Lift panel board
- Hook it to the latch at top of window covering the glass completely.
- Silence your phones (Do not put on Vibrate)
- Barricade the door and remain silent
- Wait for instructions from Public Safety/NYPD
Any concerns or questions regarding campus safety can be addressed by calling Public Safety at 212-237-8524 and asking to speak with a Director or Sergeant.