John Jay College is a premiere educational institution where criminal justice is taught in all its modern complexities & public service is valued as the noble endeavor that it is.
Our In-Service Program is designed to provide educational opportunities to active & retired Uniform Members of the Service of the:
- City of New York Department of Corrections (DOC)
- New York City Fire Department (FDNY)
- New York City Police Department (NYPD)*
*Active NYPD UMOS police officers & supervisors are encouraged to apply for the NYPD Leadership scholarship program.
The In-service Program is available for all active & retired DOC UMOS officers and FDNY firefighters & retired NYPD UMOS police officers.
Civilian members are encouraged to submit the application for general admission by visiting www.cuny.edu/prepare.
Benefits of the In-Service Program include:
- Guaranteed admission to a bachelor's degree program
- Up to 90 credits from previously attended colleges & recruit training*:
- Up to 18 for DOC
- Up to 17 for FDNY
- Up to 35 for NYPD
- Up to 30 for Paramedic
- Up to 6 for EMT
- Flexible course schedules, including day, evening, weekend and online
- Individualized academic advisement
- Students with an AS degree may be eligible for the Online Security Management BA program
*Additional credits may be awarded for post-recruit training.
Our tuition is affordable & in-service students may also eligible for a $100 tuition deduction each semester.